Don't miss

Sep 23, 2012

Cheap & Easy Photo Project... Looks Like Canvas!


By on Sep 23, 2012


I love photography and if you are like me, then you also love creative ways to display your photos. I originally found this idea on Mommy Models Blog via Pinterest, so I thought I would give it a try. Here is how it works.



What you need:


  • Wood backing. Use whatever you find, however I used a 1/2 inch 2x2 Birch board for $7.44 from Lowes. My husband cut it to size, I got 1-16" x 20" board, 1- 8" x 20" board and 1- 4" x 24" out of this. Great for a couple prints!
  • Modge Podge
  • Paint. I used white but be festive use whatever color you want!
  • Sanding paper
  • Large photo print. I ordered 1- 16" x 20" poster and 1 - 8" x 20" poster from Wal-Mart.com. I think I paid around $20.00 for both and got them the same day with in-store pickup. Sweet!

    How To Do It:

    Step 1: Cut Board to Size. 

    My Husband helped me with this. We actually cut the boards 1/4 inch shorter than the prints so thinking we would trim image afterward to exact dimension, in hindsight I wish we would have cut the boards to poster sizes as the tablesaw we used to cut the wood was very accurate and you get cleaner lines without having to exact-o the photo. Just Saying!

    Step 2: Sand away rough edges.

    Step 3: Paint the sides and back.


    I used white paint and applied 2 coats. Also, in this step I prepped other the boards that we had cut from the birch boards we bought.

    Step 4: Modge Podge the wood and the picture



    Apply Modge Podge generously to both the wood surface and back of the picture.

    Step 5: Apply Gentle Pressure Over Photo to 86 the Air Bubbles


    As you can see, my husband could not help himself with this step, due to his OCD. So I thought "Why Not...! I'll let him help!" Hope he doesn't take credit!

    Step 6: Let Dry and Viola! You Are Done And It is Amazing and Ready to Hang!







    What you do think of the finished project?


    *Note: I did exact-o knife the edges as we cut the boards a little smaller than the wood backing, however I would recommend cutting board to size and skipping this step of trimming.  

    About Juli Camarin

    Juli Camarin is a blogger who enjoys writing, creating, capturing, recording & sharing beauty. She currently writes two blogs, JCBlog.net and InspiredbyFabulous.com.

    0 comments:

    Post a Comment